12 Ways Kettlebells Can Help to Get You Fit
Russian bodybuilders used kettlebells centuries ago and they’re making a big comeback now. People are discovering how effective they are for shaping up and losing weight in less time. Liven up your workout routine and learn how to use these weights safely.
1. Go back in history. Russian strongmen first started using kettlebells in Russia in the 1700s. You may have seen these objects that look like cannonballs with handles in old bodybuilder pictures or hardcore gyms. Now they’re becoming popular again.
2. Feel like a celebrity. Some famous movie stars and athletes train with kettlebells. You’ll have something in common with Sylvester Stallone, Jennifer Aniston, Penélope Cruz, and many football players.
3. Burn up more calories. Kettlebell workouts are very intense and target your whole body. Some experts estimate that it’s typical to burn about 20 calories per minute. That’s more than three times the average for a regular aerobics class.
4. Working Out With Kettlebells. Purchase your equipment. You can buy weights online or in sporting goods stores. The exact prices will depend on the poundage. It may be economical to buy them in sets to keep up with the progress you’ll make.
5. Enjoy a full-body workout. What makes these workouts so special is the way they work everything at once. You get cardiovascular and strength training combined. You even increase the stability of your core muscles as your body works to balance itself.
6. Learn the whole circuit. The best way to train is to complete a full circuit of different exercises. You’ll learn to swing the weights as well as to pass them from one hand to the other. Adapt your old dumbbell exercises. Even though you’ll be learning a new approach with different equipment, you can make use of what you already know. Some moves like shoulder presses and flys will be familiar if you ever trained with dumbbells.
7. Supplement with other activities. Schedule a variety of exercise types to liven up your workouts and maintain interest. Alternate kettlebell days with other activities like hiking or yoga classes.
8. Talk with your doctor. Kettlebell workouts are safe for most people, but you may want to talk with your doctor first. This is especially true if you’ve been sedentary for a prolonged time or you’re over 50.
9. Seek out qualified instructions. Proper technique is crucial to avoiding injuries and reaching your fitness goals. You can work with an individual trainer or call gyms in your community to see if they have group classes.
10. Use the correct weight. Give your muscles time to build up their capacity. Using lighter weights will let you concentrate on learning the correct form. From there, you can work your way up to the big weights.
11. Remain mindful. Once you get into the routine of completing your circuit of exercises, it may be tempting to let your thoughts drift, but try to pay attention. In addition to protecting you from accidents, concentrating your mind plays a big role in sculpting your body.
12. Protect your hands. You’ll love how kettlebells are tough on fat, but you may be concerned about what they can do to your hands. Give them some extra care. Use pumice stones and moisturizing lotion to treat callouses. Treat any cuts with an antibiotic ointment promptly to reduce the risk of infection. You can also wear cotton gloves for a more comfortable grip.
Kettlebells are a fun and effective way to get fit even if your time is limited. Swing your way to better health and a leaner figure.